Tuesday 5 May 2015

Food For Thought Or Thought For Food?

Have you ever craved for something in the middle of night; I have seen most of my friends craving for some or the other food. I had always considered myself a creature with no such instincts. Until one fine day, when in a land far away from where I belong, I suddenly wanted to eat those things. Things, that just a short time back were just a block away from me but today are not even available in the city I live.

 Food is one of most important needs of survival on earth. But had food been only the basic necessity we would still be digging out the roots, hunting animals and eating all of it raw. But with the progression of technology, sciences food also has developed over centuries. And today can be categorised in various segments to suit to everyone’s need.

I have been wondering that with time, in our fast paced life have we forgotten the importance of food.
The famous saying of “Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, Dine like a Pauper” is may be followed by the very few cautious and lucky individuals. In our running schedules chasing our bread and butter we have may be shifted the saying totally opposite in some cases and in others no such saying exists.

Most of us have a quick breakfast, a negligible or may be whatever is available in lunch and an elaborate dinner. The reason could be because it is only in evenings that we have ample of time enjoy our meal, eat slowly and taste the food we eat. This is the same reasons why so many fast food joints work so good on weekdays and most restaurants are busy for dinner. And especially need reservation for their Friday to Sunday dinner.

Unlike many I see food as the most important way to connect.  When I remember my childhood days it flushes so many things. I still remember the peas fry my grandfather made for me, the wild berries I use to eat in summers, the butter my grandfather made. The memories not only remind me of the place or the people but in fact it reminds me of the taste which is as fresh as if I ate these yesterday.

Food is such an important part of our system that we tend to forget that when we talk about a place to also recall the popular food. I would call myself a global foodie; however is that what I prefer to eat every day of my life perhaps not. Tasting different cuisine, eating different flavours and different food is something most people do, but there are rarely any who make these cuisines part of their everyday meal. Beside my pan Indian cuisine list I don’t think I can eat any other cuisine every day. I may like to eat pasta, pizza, fajita or fish and chips as and when I want to but it is long before they make it to my craving or everyday meal menu.

Most people, who don’t live in their own country and are far away from their homes, will often realize that they crave for the food from back home. Despite the fact that people back home may be so bored of routine that they often prefer to go with the other food choices available. This may be explained by basic human nature after all “Variety is the spice of life”.

The need of variance in taste may differ individual to individual, but the fact remains that taste is associated with memory.  The important part is which kind of memory? Despite the fact we might have had many horrible experiences with taste we most often recall the good ones. And something which leaves a bad taste is best forgotten.


Food well cooked, well served and matching to the taste is something worth a kill. It’s not strange that how finally how everything boils down to the essence of life “FOOD”.


No comments: